I knew when Star Wars the Last Jedi came out that I would have to change my line up of Top Movies of 2017. I will start with the ranking. I don’t think that the other movies that are to come out in the next few days will alter my expectations. I just don’t think the majority of movies were very good this year. It really was a disappointing year.
- Logan: This still remains the BEST movie so far this year. I loved everything that this movie had to offer. I loved the interpersonal relationships between a loner and the people he loves. I love X23, I think she was amazing. I love Professor X and his lovely goodbye. For a power superhuman, he died of a very real and deadly human condition. Logan had to come to terms with what it means to be human.
- Wonder Woman: This still is in the #2 place, if the ending was better, and a little more creative storyline this would have beaten Logan. Logan was the complete package, end of characters, great story, and it is very relatable. Wonder Woman although relateable, was not believable. The first 15 minutes of the movie we see a young Diana growing up on Themyscira, her relationships with her aunt and mother were believable. What fails for me is how Aries comes at the end of the movie and blows up everything. It was like he was the surprise card that just doesn’t pay off in the end. This is the problem with DC movies in general. Not to mention that Diana is so in love with Steve Trevor that she just goes away for 100 years and does nothing. Hummm…
- Star Wars Last Jedi: I loved this movie. To be honest I had an internal struggle as to where to place it in this lineup. It didn’t beat Logan for storyline. It didn’t beat Wonder Woman as Iconic. Visually and CGI it was better put together than Wonder Woman. The story also beat out Wonder Woman in terms of continuity. I loved (SPOILER) that they hit the important moments with characters that were in the original line up of movies. I think the writing at times was heavy-handed and dipped into too much mystery. Although I enjoyed the casino planet I felt that it didn’t have a great connection to the movie storyline. For me it could have been a standalone movie.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 — The best fun movie, period. I loved this movie and could be a solid #2 — if both Wonder Woman and Star Wars Last Jedi didn’t invoke iconic feelings for me.
- Thor Ragnorok — Another great fun movie. I loved the 80s campy feeling with a great budget to do it right.
- Beauty and the Beast
- Atomic Blonde
- PowerRangers (yes, I liked it better than Spiderman Homecoming) — My niece doesn’t agree with me on this. She tells me that Sailor Moon was much better. IDK because I hadn’t seen it. It’s high on my list because it actually had a storyline, good CGI, and ok acting. Okay, so there you go….
- Spiderman Homecoming
- xXx: Return of Xander Cage
- Underworld: The Blood Wars
- The Fate of the Furious
- Transformers: The Last Knight
- Justice League – This could have been higher on my list but my niece made me put it last. She said, “This movie was bad! The only good part was with Wonder Woman.” I agree, so there it is. (Did I also say that I loved Aquaman’s speech when he sat on the lasso of truth!)
Star Wars, need I say more. This movie was the most expected movie of the year. It lands #3 on my list because Logan beat it for just about everything, and Wonder Woman, well she beat it out because this was the first Wonder Woman on the big screen. The Last Jedi, is my 5th favorite Star Wars movie of all time. The original 3, the Force Awakens, and the Last Jedi. I loved the relationship between Rey and Kylo, I don’t know how that is going to resolve in the last movie, but the connection is strong between them. I liked the introduction to the Gray Force – the place where most mortals live every day. For the record, I do think this was introduced in the prequels, but it wasn’t handled very well.
I loved Princess Leia in this movie. This movie brings me tears and lots of love.